Between 2008 and 2012, OPHI collaborated with the City’s Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS) and various stakeholders to ensure that health objectives and actions were integrated into the citywide, strategic planning process called the Portland Plan. The Portland Plan was adopted by City Council in spring of 2012.
Health and Equity Comp Plan Network
OPHI is leading a collaborative effort to ensure that a health and healthy equity framework is well integrated into Portland’s Comprehensive Plan. By working with Multnomah County Health Department, the Urban League of Portland and others, OPHI convenes the “Health Equity Comp Plan Network.”
The Network provides monthly updates on information related to the Comp Plan process, shares information from OPHI and partners who are participating on and actively monitoring the Comp Plan Policy Expert Groups (PEGs), and asks Network members for their input and feedback to bring a collective voice on health and health equity issues in the Comp Plan.
The Health and Equity Comp Plan Network :
- Provided resources on how PEG issues relate to health and equity.
- Provided a forum for PEG members and other stakeholders to strategize about how to best incorporate health and equity.
- Delivered presentations and technical assistance on health and equity to support stakeholder involvement on PEGs and other Comp Plan activities.
- Gathered and analyzed existing health data and map health-related information.
- Developed health and equity goals and benchmarks related to PEG proposals.